Every year since her 20th birthday, Shelly's grandma had given her a heart shaped locket. Said that's how many true loves one can have in a lifetime. Said that seven is the amount of times you can forgive a man before you leave him. Her grandma was 91 when she died. She said her age had love luck mixed with the number 13 superstition and she loved that. The day that she died was the day she gave Shelly her last locket. She was a wise woman and knew her time was up. When Shelly was called to her bed, she placed her hand upon her grandma's cheek and looked into her eyes. Tears rolled down her grandma's cheeks, reminding Shelly of dew on a maple leaf.
"My dearest granddaughter. It is so close to your birthday and I wanted with all my heart to be there, but I fear I don't have enough strength to last. So I am going to give you your present early.
She pulled out the last heart shaped locket, this one slightly bigger then the rest.
"This one was always my favorite. I met your grandfather the year I was given that. It was magical."
Shelly nodded and her grandma continued on.
"As you know this is the last locket I will ever give you. You must find your true love and nothing less with it and when you are old and your children have children, you must give these to the first born girl on her 20th birthday. You must tell her the same things I am telling you now, then she too will live a wonderful life. Do you promise me Shelly?"
"I promise you, Grandma."
No comments:
Post a Comment